Sunday, March 3, 2013

Wine Tastings - February 25



Name: Opera Prima Sweet Red
Vintage: 2010
Region: La Mancha, Spain
Price: $5 (on sale)
Tasting Notes: This is a lush, sweet wine jammed with flavors of blackberries, blueberries, cherries, strawberries and red currants. It has a long, clean finish.
My Review: Finally a SWEET RED wine! I never thought I would actually taste a red that wasn’t super bitter! The smell was very fruity – mainly berry and did not smell too acidic.  The taste was obviously sweet, yet a little dry on the aftertaste.  I also got a strong hint of strawberry.  It was slightly bitter and the front of the palate that transitioned into a sweet and smooth taste.






Name: Red Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon
Vintage: 2010
Region: Columbia Valley, Washington
Price: $10
Tasting Notes: Red Diamond celebrates the personality of Washington’s distinctive red wines. Layers of luscious flavors are revealed in each bottle, exuding style and confidence. This Cabernet is multi-faceted and complex with layers of berry, cherry and toasted oak flavors.
My Review: The smell of this wine had me very intrigued – I had never smelled a Cab so sweet! The smell was predominately cherry with other fruitiness mixed it. However, the taste was almost the complete opposite.  It was very earthy and spicy but I could still taste the cherry underneath the strong earthy flavors.  It also had a very long aftertaste.  I wasn’t a huge fan of this wine, but then again I haven’t really gotten into Cab’s in general.



Name: Beringer Chenin Blanc
Vintage: 2011
Region: Napa Valley, California
Price: $6
Tasting Notes: The California Collection Chenin Blanc is a well-balanced wine with aromas and flavors of crisp citrus, melon, and spicy ginger.  It’s meant to be enjoyed with a variety of foods, from Asian and Mexican foods to a casual backyard barbecue with friends.
My Review: This was my first time trying a Chenin Blanc, and from the descriptors I had read about Chenin Blanc’s, I was very excited to try it!  On the nose it was very fruity – definitely some green apple and a little bit of pear.  It smelled a crisp and a little tart.  The taste was a slightly different than I had expected – it actually wasn’t bursting with flavor as the smell had suggested.  But it was well rounded with apple and citrus flavors.  Overall I enjoyed it but I would like to try a more high-end Chenin Blanc and see the differences.


No comments:

Post a Comment