Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wine Tasting - April 18



Name: Wilson Daniels Sauvignon Blanc
Vintage: 2010
Region: Central Coast, California
Price: $7.95
Tasting Notes: Orange blossom and citrus permeate the aromas. Alluring flavors of orange and grapefruit dominate the palate. Bright acidity balances the plush mouth feel, resulting in a clean finish.
My Review: The smell of this wine was had strong orange and citrus components.  The taste was tart and crisp with apple and grapefruit flavors.  I liked this wine, but it wasn’t great.





Name: Black Ridge White Zinfandel
Vintage: NV
Region: California
Price: $3.95
Tasting Notes: This fruit forward White Zinfandel displays fresh aromas and crisp flavors of strawberry, raspberry, and cherry. It is incredibly food friendly and will pair well with burgers, sandwiches, fruit salad, and more.
My Review: I hadn’t had a white Zinfandel before that I liked, but I actually enjoyed this one.  The smell was sweet with cherry aromas.  The taste was light and sweet with some strawberry and other berry flavors.  Since this wine was so good for such a cheap wine, I decided to purchase it.




Name: Chandon Sweet Cuvée
Vintage: NV
Region: California
Price: $9.95
Tasting Notes: This wine is an innovative sparkling wine style revealing vibrant stone fruit and floral aromas with rich, luscious mouth feel. This wine enlivens the senses and sparks spontaneous moments, complementing your passion for a good life.
My Review: This wine had a very sweet and fruity smell.  The taste was slightly floral but had a weird aftertaste that I did not like.  I like the mouth feel of the bubbles, but not really much else about the wine.





Name: Concannon Shiraz
Vintage: 2008
Region: Central Coast, California
Price: $7.95
Tasting Notes: This is an extremely rich, full-bodied wine with a dark fruit core. Aromas of blackberry, blueberry, cassis and dark cherry are followed by more berry fruits and chocolate and mocha on the palate.
My Review: This one had an extremely interesting aroma! Very potent, I couldn’t quite pick out the descriptor, but I definitely got some blueberry.  The taste was slightly dirt-ish and earthy, but not too strong.  It was also slightly dry.





Name: Ksana Bonarda
Vintage: 2008
Region: Mendoza, Argentina
Price: $9.95
Tasting Notes:  The bouquet is floral and lightly jammy, with berry aromas and a savory note or two. To the uninitiated, this is a great introduction to Bonarda. Finishes solid. Very sweet, berry smell with some rooty undertones. Kind of dry, makes your lips pucker.
My Review: I liked the smell of this wine – very jammy, sweet, and rich.  However, the taste didn’t match up – it was VERY dry, earthy and spicy and was probably my least favorite of the wines during the tasting.


No comments:

Post a Comment