Sunday, February 10, 2013

Picket Fence - Cabernet Sauvignon


Name: Picket Fence Cabernet Sauvignon
Vintage: 2010
Region: Alexander Valley, California
Price: $19
Tasting Notes: This wine has classic Sonoma Cabernet characteristics of cassis, green olive and hints of chocolate. French Oak aging contributes vanilla, clove and hazelnut aromas which create a unique foil for the robust blackberry and raspberry fruit flavors leading to a round, flavorful finish. Pair with aged and semi-hard cheeses, or try lamb with a dry rub of rosemary, shallots and fruity olive oil.” – Alison Crowe, Winemaker
My Review: I wasn’t a big fan of this wine – I found it to be very dry.  I haven’t yet acquired the taste for Cabernet Sauvignon, so that is probably the main reason I did not like this wine.  However, when it was paired with a cheese provided at the tasting, I could detect small changes in the wine.  And I thought it definitely made it more drinkable.  I did get a slight fruit flavor of maybe blackberry or raspberry as described, but I did not get much of the vanilla and hazelnut aromas.   

1 comment:

  1. this wine is really a classic, and especially for those who like flavor over tannin. Its one of the most mellow reasonably priced wines I have tasted this year.

    ReplyDelete