Sunday, February 10, 2013

Rainstorm - Pinot Noir





Name: Rainstorm Pinot Noir
Vintage: 2009
Region: Willamette and Umpqua ValleysOregon (50/50 blend from both regions)
Price: $19
Tasting Notes: This Oregon Pinot Noir portrays the dark cherry flavors that are characteristic of the region, with aromas of cinnamon and vanilla balanced by a clean finish.
Complex and substantial, this excellent Pinot Noir from the Mariani Family’s new Oregon label has pretty berry fruit at the core, wrapped in flavors of cola, chocolate and nougat. The length is impressive.” – Paul Gregutt (rating: 89)
My Review: Yes, I may have picked this wine mainly because of the awesome label (and the store rating of 90), but it turned out to be a pretty good decision. The color was not very deep, it was a lighter purple-red.  At first, the smell was acidic, sharp and spicy and the flavors were similar.  But after letting it open-up, the smell became significantly smoother and fruitier along with the taste. It had a long mellow aftertaste. I let it sit out overnight and tried it the next day, and I found that I liked it even more – it was even smoother! I also tried it with a steak dinner and found that when I tasted it with the Rib-eye steak, the taste was very sharp and acidic which I was a little surprised by. But my overall impression of this Pinot Noir was very good and I would definitely try this wine, or another from the same vineyard, again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment